Sunday, April 8, 2012

Top 5's

I asked Twitter what I should write my blog about tonight and my friend Hannah said I should do my top five favourite things in five categories. She gave me several choices, so here goes. Just FYI, this changes all the time.

TV Shows
1. Doctor Who (I love space and history and imagining what else is in the universe. It makes me laugh and cry, often within close proximity. It's also just incredibly British which is glorious.)
2. Gilmore Girls (I would go so far as to say this is the wittiest show I've ever watched. I enjoy the heck out of the dialogue with its pop-culture references and the quirky characters.)
3. The Office (This show has some of the most ridiculous, but unique characters on TV. I make ridiculous squealing sounds while watching it because it makes me laugh so hard. Also, Jim and Pam.)
4. Downton Abbey (There needs to be more of this because a British period show is a dream come true. This show is intoxicating. Loads of people didn't like series 2, but I loved it.)
5. Boy Meets World (I am one of those people who eats nostalgia for breakfast. This show brings me to my childhood and is still such an enjoyable show as a 22-year-old.)

Movies
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Cut (I love being transported to other worlds through media and Middle Earth is one of the best. These movies have every aspect a movie should have; they're visually stunning, the score is brilliant, there's action, adventure, some comedy, love, friendship, wonderful characters, and of course an epic battle between good and evil. The extended cuts make already wonderful stories even better because we get to spend more time with the characters and things are more fully explained. If you think picking a trilogy is a cop out, Return of the King is my favourite.)
2. Singin' in the Rain (I have the biggest crush on Gene Kelly. He is the most charming man to have ever lived. This movie tells a great story of the transition in to "talkies" while being a wonderful, upbeat musical. I love musicals.)
3. Ten Things I Hate About You (I know this is a teenage Rom Com, but I adore it. I've always wanted a boy to serenade me the way Heath Ledger does to Julia Styles in this movie. It's got romance, laughter, and a great soundtrack.)
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (It's an action-packed witty adventure with a lot of attractive people. What more could you want? The rest of the series is a lot better than most people give it credit for.)
5. Hairspray (I remember seeing this in the theatre for the first of three times and being blown away by how fun it was. I couldn't remember a time when I'd had such a good time watching a movie. It's really funny and has great songs.)

Foods
1. cheesecake (I love every variety of cheesecake I've ever put in my mouth, but white chocolate raspberry is my favourite.)
2. Pesto Burger (A restaurant called Phyllis's makes pesto burgers on sourdough buns on which I get jack cheese and holy crap they are beautiful.)
3. BLT Hotdog (Local pub-style bar/restaurant TAPS makes these: deep-fried bacon-wrapped hot dogs on a sourdough bun with lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo.*)
4. Ginger Chicken Quesadilla (There is a restaurant in the Phoenix area, well, a couple, called Chino Bandito which is a Chinese-Mexican food hybrid. Sounds gross, tastes fantastic.)
5. Nachos (I adore nachos from all sorts of places, but I really love the ones at Joe's Taquerilla in Downtown Disney. With the exception of when they were closed for renovation, there has not been a Disney trip other than when I was little that did not include nachos from Joe's, and several trips that have involved nachos multiple times. They basically taste like Disneyland to me.)

*My friend and I went out for these last week and came up with the following origin story: Once upon a time. Professor Dumbledore conjured magical pig meat in the shape of a delectable sausage. He apparated it to Gandalf in a bottomless pit who promptly roasted it on the wings of a Balrog. When the Balrog flapped its wings the sausage was flung into space, where the TARDIS opened its doors and it flew inside to be caught in a lasso of bacon by the Doctor, who time traveled to the time of Jesus Christ who blessed it and gave it to Marty McFly and Doc Brown who brought it to Taps in the year 2012, where it was delivered to me on a delicious bun on the wings of an angel on a hoverboard.

Bands
1. Relient K (I talked about this previously.)
2. Chameleon Circuit (OMZ THEY ARE SO GOOD LIVE and "Still Got Legs" is fantastic.)
3. Ministry of Magic (It's physically impossible for me to listen to them without either A. Dancing or B. Crying)
4. Mumford & Sons (I've never put an album on repeat as much as "Sigh No More." Hauntingly beautiful.)
5. Paramore (I don't violently love them as much as I once did, but there are no bands with chicks on this list and Hayley has the most amazing voice. Best band to listen to when I am angry or just want to belt something out in my car.)
EDIT: I love The Civil Wars and I do not know where to include them but I can't not mention my love for their ridiculously beautiful harmonies.)

Ways to Procrastinate
1. Twitter (This is the most changing of all the lists for me. I find myself waiting for people to tweet me or just blankly staring at Twitter FAR too often.)
2. Netflix (This doesn't even need an explanation. They never should have added streaming to Wii.)
3. Cleaning (I never clean until there is something else I need to do.) 
4. Tumblr (I haven't been doing that lately, but it's great when I really want to procrastinate.)
5. Wii Fit (Exercising is something I really only do on Wii when there are other things to be done.)

I hope that was a little more interesting than some of the other blogs I've written so far. 

Listening to: Death Cab for Cutie: Codes and Keys
Reading: The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

3 comments:

  1. "nostalgia is something I eat for breakfast" A+++++ line. I'm going to steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. 1. Charlie
      2. Hank and John
      3. Elmify
      4. Wheezy Waiter
      5. Hayley G Hoover

      Delete