Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cabin in the Woods (Also, Taxes Are Icky)

So I spent a good four and a half hours doing my federal and state taxes today. It was a freaking nightmare. I just got an email from the IRS saying there were errors on my tax form and I had to resubmit it and now I'll have to wait and see if there are more errors, which I am fairly certain there will be, because in order to authenticate it you have to have your income from last year (which I don't have because apparently I didn't keep my tax forms from last year), your PIN from last year (which I don't have because I didn't do an e-file last year), or a new pin (which is what I put but apparently they didn't like it.) Don't know what to do about this, which is super obnoxious because they owe me money. 

Despite having my entire afternoon swallowed up by that crap, I had a lovely evening. My friend and I went to Phyllis' Giant Burgers which I have previously mentioned as the place with magical pesto burgers. It had probably been at least a year since I'd last had one and let me tell you it was even better than I remembered. So freaking delicious I would eat another one right now.

Following epic deliciousness, we went to see Cabin in the Woods. Now, I am not a horror person. At all. The last horror film I went to see was Darkness Falls. I was in 8th grade. It's just a genre that is so archetypal that I find it uninteresting. I went to see Cabin in the Woods for one reason: Joss Whedon. I would describe this movie as sort of a Buffy meets The Hunger Games type deal. I don't want to say much else about the plot besides that (and I'm sorry if even that is too much), because I think it is best to go into without knowing much about it. I left the theatre not really sure how I felt about the film at first, but I've decided that it was enjoyable and entertaining. There were a couple of characters that I instantly loved (how does Joss always do that to me?), which of course just made me really on edge due the nature of the film. It was very satirical and surprisingly funny. Like, loud out loud funny. There was a moment that was completely obviously foreshadowed, but I totally forgot about it, and it seemed like the rest of the theatre did, too. It's quirky, it'll keep you on the edge of your seat, it'll make you say, "Oh, Joss," and it will entertain you. You should probably go see it tomorrow. 

Listening to: The Shins: Oh, Inverted World

No comments:

Post a Comment