Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sorted into Hufflepuff

I've wanted to write this blog for a long time. I'm not really sure what's been stopping me. I guess for awhile it wasn't very relevant, then it became relevant again and I just didn't do anything about it. Warning: I get pretty passionate about Harry Potter. You probably should get out of here if you don't care about witches, wizards, magical beasts, goblins, ghosts, and magical feasts.

I started reading Harry Potter approximately ten years ago, around the same age as Harry started out. As a kid, I never really thought about what house I would be in. As I imagine most kids did/do, I just kind of assumed I would be where Harry is. Let's face it, Jo doesn't really give a ton of credit to the houses that are not Gryffindor in the books. It's pretty easy to assume that Gryffindor is THE house to be in, especially as a kid.

I think it wasn't 'til around three years ago that I really started thinking about what house I am in. I knew I was definitely not a Slytherin, and no longer assumed I was a Gryffindor. I proceeded to take every online sorting test I could find. The results were fairly split between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, occassionally ending up Gryffindor, not once Slytherin. So here I am trying to figure out which house I was in, mainly so I could get house swag to show my love for Harry Potter. I was pretty much resolved to be a Hufflepuff, but reading is one of my greatest pleasures, so I kind of wanted to be a Ravenclaw (plus blue is my favourite color). I decided to take three more tests and those would be the final word on the matter. Well, the results came back 2-Ravenclaw, 1-Hufflepuff. From then on, I was a Ravenclaw. 

Last year, I found out that we would all have the opportunity to take a sorting test created by Jo herself. Who could know more about sorting than the creator of the entire Potter world? I was very excited. Part of me was a little nervous, but I was confident that I would be sorted into Ravenclaw.

I managed to get into Pottermore BETA, and so began the painful process of waiting for my owl. It seemed like EVERYONE was getting their owl and I was just distracting myself with VEDA. My owl finally came on August 29th. There were still quite a few people who didn't have theirs at that time, but it felt like I was one of the last.

As soon as I saw the email on my phone, I hopped out of bed and turned on my computer and went straight to Pottermore. I turned on the Sorcerer's Stone soundtrack and began going through the story. I really enjoyed the new character backgrounds, but I was reading as fast as I could so I could get sorted. The process of getting a wand was really exciting, and so was the result: hazel, phoenix feather, 12 1/4 in, unbending. That's supposed to be a really powerful combination and I was sure it would give me the edge to get into Ravenclaw since such a great wand was clearly meant for a brilliant wizard. I kind of sped through the rest until I got to the sorting. Watching the message from Jo was terrifying and exciting and wonderful. 

Let's back up for a minute. I had spent the past few weeks hearing people complain about what house they got in, all the while just desperately wanting to be sorted. Several people had told me the questions were a joke, others had told me they were pretty good questions. To me, it seemed like the people saying the test was bogus were just the ones who had gotten into a house other than the one they desired. I was determined to honour the results of the test still, though I had no doubt that I would be sorted into Ravenclaw.

Well, I took the test. I would say I got maybe two questions that felt a little bogus, but the rest were pretty decent. What I like about the test (though I know there are different questions) is that it's not completely obvious which house corresponds to which answer. A lot of the tests online are like, "Would you steal candy from a baby? Then you're a Slytherin!" Pottermore, not so much. Next thing I knew, my screen was telling me that I was a badger. I just sat there staring and holding my breath for a couple minutes.

I had all of the feelings. I was confused. I was so sure I was a Ravenclaw. I was suddenly doubting the legitimacy of the test. I read through the welcome note and was less than convinced that I fit its description of a Hufflepuff. I honestly didn't feel good enough for Hufflepuff, that I wasn't loyal or patient or kind enough. That lead me to believe that I was just the leftovers: the person who isn't brave or ambitious or intelligent, and is therefore taken into Hufflepuff out of the kindness of Helga's heart.

After days, weeks, even months of wavering in my decision, I finally decided to respect Pottermore's decsion. Do I think Pottermore is the absolute final authority on what house you're in? Not at all. But I realised something about myself that I think happens to others as well: the things that are special about me are the things that are so ingrained in me that I don't realise that most people don't necessarily possess those qualities. Honestly, though, it's hard for me to even imply that I'm special. That right there is one of many reasons I now know I am a Hufflepuff: humility. Ravenclaws won't for a second let you forget how intelligent they are. That's not exactly me. As I said before, the main reason I felt I was a Ravenclaw before was because I like to read so much and Ravenclaws are big fans of those paper things that have words in them. But you know what? I'm constantly finding evidence that I am a Hufflepuff. We may be easy to pick on, but we just want to love you.

What I am saying here is this: even if you disagree with Pottermore, at least consider the results. I have had two friends just in the past two days tell me that Pottermore was right, despite the fact that they hated their results at first. The important thing to remember if you are one of us who takes this sorting very seriously is that the house you are in doesn't change you as a person. The house system is meant to put people together who have minds that work in similar ways. It's not perfect; people don't break down perfectly into 4 categories. You may possess qualities from multiple houses, although I would like to remind people that everyone at Hogwarts was only in one house and that Gryffinclaw is not a Thing.

If you read this whole thing, I appreciate you. I would love to hear your sorting stories. 

Listening to: Oliver Boyd and the Remembralls (vol. 1 & 2)
Reading: Eve by Anna Carey 

2 comments:

  1. I thought that I was a Gryffindor at first then after I was sorted I realized that I clearly am not.
    I had a conversation with my best friend after being sorted into Huffelpuff and she smiled, then patted me on the head. She told me that I was most definitely a Huffelpuff.
    I read the exuberantly long description of the house and yes I most certainly am a Huffelpuff.
    Let us all be friends and love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same experience with the humility thing: I realized that my intense dislike of boasting itself could be enough to put me into Hufflepuff. Also, I read the Ravenclaw welcome message and it was very not like me.

    ReplyDelete