Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

I was going to talk about spoilers today but it's Good Friday and I watched "The Passion of the Christ" and to talk about spoilers just seems far too trivial now. 

I have had approximately 8 years to see "The Passion of the Christ" before actually doing so tonight. I used to be pretty squeamish, so I was pretty much avoiding it for that reason. Tonight was Opening Day for the Giants. Between the game not being over and the fact that I didn't shower, I didn't end up going to the Good Friday service. In the past it's been one of my favourite services of the year, a time when we get together with other churches for a massive service. Things have been changing through the years; our service was joined with just one other church this year. It's a really good time to reflect on what this day means, what Jesus has done for us, what he has done for me personally. Not being a part of that time is what got me to watch the movie I had been avoiding for 8 years. 

I accepted Jesus into my life when I was four. This means I have heard the Easter Story no less than 18 times, probably much more. Needless to say, I know it pretty well. I've heard extremely detailed accounts of the crucifixion process. Turns out, knowing how something happened and seeing it happen are two completely different things.  It's not the gore that make it hard to watch, it's the incredible amount of suffering Jesus went through. Have you ever cried to the point where you feel like you are going to throw up? That is how I felt watching this. The ruthlessness of those who beat Jesus was appalling. It was really hard to watch Mary as well. I don't think I could watch my son be tortured to death. 

I don't have much else to say about the film. I am just so grateful for the sacrifice Jesus made for me, despite the fact that I could never do anything to deserve it. 

Listening to: Jeremy Camp: Restored

  

1 comment:

  1. It was a beautifully done movie. I liked it but I saw it in the theatre so the blood was full scale.

    ReplyDelete