Friday, April 20, 2012

The Catastrophic History of You and Me

Ah! I have ten minutes to write this!

Ok, so I'm not much of a reviewer, but I'm going to talk about The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg, which I finished last night (okay, 2 o'clock this morning).

Before I even started reading this book, I flipped through it to find that all the chapter titles are lines from songs, so that already caught my attention. And of course, being me, I immediately made a playlist of all the songs I already owned (which I am currently listening to.)

This book is about a girl who dies due to her heart literally breaking in two when her boyfriend breaks up with her. (That's not a spoiler, that's how the book starts.)  This book goes through a quite unique take on the afterlife. The main character, Brie, is trying to cope with the fact that her boyfriend said he didn't love her at the same time as she is dealing with leaving everyone she cares about behind. I'm having trouble thinking of what else to say about the plot without giving anything away. There are several twists in the novel. It touches on real issues and manages to be funny while talking so much about death. It contains some references I really enjoyed as well. It was a really enjoyable read. Pick it up at your local bookstore or library or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment