Thursday, August 7, 2014

I Am Lord of the Rings

I'm trying to get through this post so I can watch Harry Potter and write my next post, so we're just going to talk about something a little silly. What an inciting way to start!

So I was scrolling through Facebook and came across a "What Classic Novel Describes Your Life?" quiz. I took it and I like my result, so I thought I'd share:

An underdog in every sense of the word, Tolkien's LORD OF THE RINGS does a masterful job of playing out your struggles. Though you may not be the most intimidating of individuals, you are not weak - far from it. People are constantly trying to put you down in life, and you always manage to prove them wrong; Sometimes even finding yourself on top. Life has taken you some very strange places, and you've developed a taste for the fantastic in the process. You're determined, driven, and have a penchant for the surreal!

This is actually kind of an accurate description of me. I don't necessarily consider myself an underdog, but I am a Hufflepuff, so there's that. I'm don't think I'm intimidating (though there are a few people at different points in my life who would have disagreed) and I'm not as weak as I appear. I've had my share of people trying to put my down, and proving them wrong is my favourite. Oooh I have a story about that. Hopefully I haven't told it on here before. I'm starting to forget what I have and have not blogged about.

When I was a freshman in high school, I decided I wanted to try out for the tennis team. There weren't really formal tryouts, it was kind of just practicing with the team. One day, I showed up and the coach stopped me and told me he had thought about it and didn't think I was ready to be on the team. He told me some story about how Michael Jordan was cut from some team a long time ago, and so I should practice more and come back next year. So I cried for quite some time, but I was determined to get better. I was the only person he cut. He didn't need to cut me; he didn't have the max number of people. He could have just not even used me. But he did keep a girl who was late every day and didn't always show up. I expect it's because he knew her father. The next year I made the team. I kicked ass in doubles. Everyone was promised to play in two matches so they could get their varsity letters. The girl whose father he knew played her two matches. I played in ten of the twelve with a winning record. At the end of the year, I received the "Most Improved" award (there were only three awards, it wasn't a thing where everyone was recognized) and a glorious speech from my douche coach about how far I'd come, and I could tell he knew he'd done the wrong thing the previous year. Don't tempt me to prove you wrong, kids.

Let's continue with high school tennis stories. Spring of sophomore year, we had a tennis unit in PE. Up until that point, my friend group and I had basically done terribly at every sport and activity. I'm not athletic. I'm just tennis. So this unit rolls around and it's finally something that I like and know how to do. Well, the jocks were unprepared for this. We had a class challenge. It got down to the finals, the game before the championship, and I was facing this football player. I think he played basketball, too. He pretty much thought he was going to eat me alive. It was quite the opposite. He got super frustrated that he wasn't scoring on me at all. After I won the final point of the set, he threw his racket on the ground in rage. Beaten by a girl. That's embarrassing. Dude joined the tennis team the next year. He still brought up his defeat two years later when we sat next to each other in English.

So those stories illustrate most of that Lord of the Rings description. Life has definitely taken me some strange places, like the fact that I moved across the country twice in one year. I'd say I have a taste for the fantastic and surreal; I'm a major dreamer. I'm not sure about driven, but I'm insanely determined, hence me writing a blog about a Buzzfeed quiz so I have something to talk about in order to blog every day this month. 



Listening to: Room on Fire by The Strokes
Tea: Bigelow Green tea with Lemon

2 comments:

  1. I TOOK THE SAME QUIZ AND GOT THE SAME RESULT. This is getting to the point where it's freaking me out.

    Also, huge fan of your tennis stories. Kudos to you for being awesome and perfect in every way <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog about a buzzfeed quiz: Success.

    ReplyDelete