Friday, April 3, 2015

Parks and Rec Characters

I was asked to write about what enjoy about each Parks and Rec character, which ties into my request about writing about a book/movie/tv show that has changed me, cause Parks definitely changed me.

Leslie- I love that she is positive through everything. She has dumb people in her town yelling at her over the most ridiculous things, and yet she just hears it as "people caring loudly at her." She's such a hard worker and so compassionate and everything I hope to be someday.

Ann- I love Ann for her relationship with Leslie, cause platonic love, yo, and because of her relationship with Chris. I love that they used her as a way to say that love for yourself is what makes romantic relationships work, and that things can go really poorly if you get lost in other people.

Ben- I love Ben because he's everything I want in a man, except a little more pretentious. He shares a lot of my interests and is a dreamboat.  A lot of shows have such ridiculous ways of showing "nerd" stereotypes, but Parks made Ben the most glorious nerd who actually feels like he could be a real person who makes bad accounting puns.

Tom- I love him because he goes for his dreams even after failing other times. He's just so enthusiastic about chasing the things he wants, even if they're ridiculous to other people.

Ron- When looked at briefly, Ron seems like a hillbilly macho man. But Parks doesn't let people be one-dimensional like that. Ron can be caring, musical, and magical. He's a great friend to Leslie, a mentor to April and Tom, and becomes a great husband and father.

April- She's another great example of people who could appear one-dimensional to a casual acquaintance. She doesn't really like a lot of things and people, but she'll do absolutely anything for those she does.

Andy- He starts out as this really quite douchey guy but becomes this sort of cuddly teddy bear who makes you laugh every time he's on screen.

Donna- She is a beast. She's such a strong female, and so different from anyone I can think of who is on television. She's willful and independent, but she has a big heart.

Jerry- Jerry takes literally anything you dish out at him. Even the amazing and positive Leslie Knope is mean to Jerry, but he NEVER cares. He just continues on with his life, and goes home to his wonderful wife and daughters. He's actually kind of amazing.

Chris- Is obviously the epitome of what it is to be a positive person. He encourages everyone around him, even when they don't necessarily want it. 

I'm sure I have a million other things to say but that is it for now.



Listening to: Talking Is Hard by Walk the Moon

1 comment:

  1. I love the beauty you find in each character, because I think later in the seasons it's easy to start seeing some downsides (i.e. When Chris starts to fall apart and you're like dude, are you okay?) but all of these are just so spot on and wonderful and I miss parks so much.

    ReplyDelete