Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Anxiety

Being super tired (I fell asleep in my jeans this other night) and uninspired has led to me failing BEDA. So I guess I'm doing BSDA (Blog Some Days in April). Of course I would do that right after I talk about why it's important for me to do BEDA. I'm trying not to dwell in my failure and continue doing lots of writing. It's not easy when you feel like there's a bowling ball in your head, but on I press, for today at least. 

I had a conversation with someone who is just recently getting to know me about my anxiety today, so naturally I want to talk about anxiety. I want to preface this by saying that anxiety effects people in different ways, so this may not be the experience of others, but perhaps provide a small look into what it's like for some people, me at least. 

My anxiety levels have been pretty extreme over the last 6-8 months. I get heart palpitations about once or twice a day that last for a couple of hours. They probably last longer and I just get used to them, actually, because I just realised I'm having mild palpitations right now. The thing is, there's no particular trigger right now. It could be that I'm stressed overall about adulthood and not being where I want to be in my life or as a person. Perhaps it's because I just applied for a job. I don't know, and that's a definite frustration for me, feeling really palpably anxious without really knowing why.

The main way I would say that I'm anxious is socially, any time I am interacting with other people. Maybe that's why I feel anxious right now, because posting things on the internet means other people have access to my thoughts. Posting this really personal stuff is not easy for me, but it's easier for me to push through that here on this screen because I don't have to see other people's reactions, though that's actually what eventually stopped me from continuing YouTube. When I get like that over the internet, my anxiety is mostly just heart palpitations and thinking about the same things over and over again. When I get anxious in physical social situations, I just kind of seize up. I get really flushed and feel like my insides are sweating, and coherent thoughts don't really happen, like my mind only has room for anxiety, not actual thoughts. I end up lying about things, completely on accident, about solid facts I definitely know. Questions really get to me, and sometimes they can just be "How are you?" Definitely any questions about my family make me anxious, or anything that feels remotely personal. I say all the time that "Tell me about yourself" is the easiest way to make my mind completely blank.

So back to my conversation today. I was talking to the mom I nanny for. On Saturday, I had mentioned that school had been really hard for me because of anxiety (which I'm honestly proud of myself for even being able to say, though sometimes it's easier for me to talk in a car where I don't have to look directly in someone's eyes). Today, I mentioned that I will be going into San Francisco tomorrow (an infamously anxiety-inducing drive). She asked me who was  going to be driving and I said I was. She said she was really surprised since I had said I have some problems with anxiety. I said that the driving doesn't really bother me too much, that it's mainly social anxiety. She was really surprised to hear that, that she had thought I was really brave for coming to their house to meet them without knowing much of anything about them and she hadn't ever seen the anxiety in me at all. I was so amazed to hear that. That day was one of the most anxious days I've had thus far in 2015. I know that I often make a bad first impression on people, and the pressure of trying to sound like someone these people could trust their child with was a lot to handle, especially because I wanted that job so much in addition to really needing it. I also feel like I get blushy with her because she places a very high value on family, so she asks me about mine a lot. I also tend to get blushy with new people who ask me about anything I feel really strongly about, but don't want to let them know how much I care. To hear that someone I have definitely had those mind-blocking anxiety experiences around hadn't noticed my anxiety, is wonderful. To hear her call me brave is a miracle. I tend not to believe people when they call me brave, because other people tell me I need to stop letting anxiety control me, but it felt so good to hear from a blunt and genuine person. She then related my anxiety to her friend who gets so anxious that he has to leave crowds. Crowds actually very rarely bother me, it's that personal contact that's difficult. Everybody is different.

One of the hardest things to deal with is that I feel like I'm often short with people when my brain stops working. I know sometimes I make people uncomfortable or make them feel like I don't want to talk to them, or maybe they think I don't like them. I hate that, because that's so rarely the case. The last time I had a really bad anxious time at a gathering, I posted something on Facebook about how bad my social anxiety is because I was so uncomfortable with the way I left that situation. Hopefully the main person I had an awkward interaction with saw that, but I've had lots of awkward interactions with her, so she's probably just used to it. It's kind of hard to know that everyone just accepts me as an awkard person, but I guess that's who I am and I have to learn to be okay with that and be confident in who I am, though that's the very thing my anxiety works against.

I just thought I'd talk about this because, you know, I'm that person who likes to write about the topics no one likes to talk about, and I know that social anxiety can be really difficult for some people to comprehend, so perhaps this will help someone somewhere understand a smidgen better.

Hope you all had a lovely day!






Listening to: "Talking Is Hard" by Walk the Moon (No, I did not realise how appropriate that album title is.)




No comments:

Post a Comment